The entire process of obtaining student bus passes in Bangalore to travel within the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) is now online and students can also set up e-tickets to collect their smart cards (bus passes). The entire process, from the application to the actual issuance of smart cards, is digitized. The online facility to register for student bus passes will soon be available – first for school students, then for college students from July-August this year.
Once you are registered, you will be required to upload all relevant information which would then be sent to the educational institution concerned (provided the institutes register online through the nodal officer nominated). Once the students’ details have been authorized, the intimations will be sent via text message, says BMTC in an official tweet. Post the above steps, students may schedule convenient times and nearest bus depots to get smart cards from. As per BMTC, this online facility will be in operation beginning in the form of the financial year 2019-2020.
Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation BMTC is an agency that will operate public bus services in Bangalore, Karnataka. The BTMC was formed in 1997 as a result of a split in the KSRTC. BMTC was renamed to the bus with a change in color scheme from red to blue and white.
BMTC consists of six main bus stations along with a number of smaller terminals. The city has 34 depots out of which 31 are in service. It also intends to build six more depots on the outskirts of the city. This also has the largest number of Volvo busses run by a public transport company in India.
BMTC has launched an Intelligent Transit System with GPS busses providing BMTC bus bookings via an android app where you can make free BMTC online ticket bookings.
BMTC Bus Types
BMTC has the largest number of Volvo busses run by a public transport company in India. BMTC provides high-end, convenient, and low-cost trips for riders who find their daily journeys difficult. The various types of busses under the company are as follows:
- Blue and White: mainly Tata and Leyland produce, these busses have been on the road for years. Released after 2001, Breezy doors are normal accessories.
- White and Blue: Parisara Vahini’s daily busses reached the roads between 2002 and 2008 with pneumatic doors. They’re mainly made by Eicher Motors, Tata, or Leyland.
- Blue buses: they are ordinary busses under the JNNURM scheme with low floors and LED signs.
- Suvarna: these busses carry LED route display boards and come with a more stable suspension compared to the previous generation of busses. We are silver in the hue of the white linen. The bus fare is higher than the ordinary bus fare.
- BMTC Pushpak: coffee-colored busses introduced in the late ’90s with a slightly premium rate. The bus comes with a single door and can run with or without a driver. The fares are equivalent to the Suvarna buses.
- BMTC Vajra: these are hi-tech, low-floor, air-conditioned busses that initially served in the IT corridor but now operate daily between usual routes. The cost of the bus is higher
- BMTC Vayu Vajra: these are Volvo busses operating on airport routes and can be marked by the “BIAS” mark on their route display boards.
- Atal Sarige: Identifies a tri-color on the exterior, these busses are low-cost, with single seats on the windows and an LED display.
- Marcopolo: these are AC busses operating on routes not provided by Volvo.
- Big 10: these busses link the main communities of the city. They have a green color with the Big10 logo.
- Big Circle: these busses travel along the outer ring road (ORR) of the city. Distinctly marked with “BigCircle” written all over.
BMTC Online Ticket Booking
You can book tickets for BMTC busses at the bus station ticket counter or after boarding the bus or by creating a BMTC login ID on mybmtc.com. You can search the specific details on the BMTC bus timetable, BMTC bus card, etc. on the official BMTC website.
You can also make BMTC bus bookings via Yatra.com. Steps to book the BMTC bus ticket via Yatra are as follows:
- Sign in to Yatra.com,
- Pick ‘Buses’ from the menu,
- Fill in your desired bus route, the date of your journey, and the number of seats needed. (The search results display the available busses with their departure time.)
- Select the seats for the bus that suits you, select your boarding place, and then fill in personal information such as name and age.
- Book any offers of BMTC tickets available at this point.
- Proceed to a payment getaway using the safe online platform of Yatra.
- Please complete your booking by paying online via credit/debit card or net banking.
- You will obtain confirmation of your ticket via e-mail and also on your registered mobile phone.
BMTC issues student electronic bus passes at concessional rates to prevent inconveniences such as submission of paperwork and to wait in long queues. This has also launched an electronic program that is directly incorporated with the database of the Education Department, where students can directly apply for a BMTC bus that passes through educational institutions or by themselves through an e-form.